Responsible Businesses Criteria
We encourage all responsible travel and lifestyle companies to contact us to list their product on our website, and to participate with us in promoting responsible travel and living. Listing blogs are provided for free. However, to maintain the integrity, professionalism and reputation of the partners we work with, as well as our own, we have certain criteria that apply.
Our Planet Travel & Living participation criteria
Our responsible travel and eco product criteria are based on the Global Sustainable Tourism Council’s (GSTC) Criteria for Sustainable Tourism: www.sustainabletourismcriteria.org
Certified Companies and Products:
1. Participation is approved if you are a certified member of an accreditation association that is recognized internationally as a sustainable/responsible/ecotourism or other recognized eco accreditation organisation
2. These include in Australia: Ecotourism Australia; EarthCheck; and CCIA NSW’s Gumnut Awards Program; along with other eco certification programs (eg. ISO 14000), including organic certifiers accredited by DAFF (there are 7 organic certifiers currently in Australia).
3. Internationally recognised accreditation organisations, inclduing the GSTC’s Recognized Standards accreditation organisations
4. Please note that Our Planet Travel will verify your certification; and participation is subject to this verification
5. As any new certification programs are registered, their details will be updated here on our website
If your certifying organisation is not listed here; or your company/product is not certified, the below criteria apply.
Non-Certified Companies and Products:
Certification is not compulsory; however, the following criteria apply:
1. Water/energy/fuel/waste minimization processes implemented
2. Low-energy appliances and lighting installed
3. Show active respect and consideration of the local environment and community, and cultural sensitivity ie. local religions / traditions
4. Minimal negative impact on the environment and community
5. Environmentally-friendly construction methods and materials used
6. Use and recommend eco-friendly amenities and products
7. Provide interpretation and education to staff and visitors to encourage sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices
8. Source food and guest services from local providers
9. Undertake sustainable procurement ie. purchase items from sustainable sources
10. Carbon emission reduction processes in place
11. Business has legal operating certification and meets legal compliance regulations ie. permits and licenses; required insurances; public liability insurance etc…
12. Risk management procedures in place. ie. workplace health and safety, first aid, emergency procedures
13. Environment planning, assessment and management processes implemented
14. Water, air, soil and noise pollution: minimal impact management processes implemented
15. Adequate and suitable staff training
16. Conservation initiatives; contributing to conservation projects
17. Community involvement and provide local community benefits
18. Responsible/sustainable business operations, management and marketing
You don’t need to meet all the above criteria, but as many of the above points as possible are preferred. If your product/company doesn’t meet the above criteria, please contact Our Planet Travel direct to discuss.
Writers, Bloggers & Photographers
Story submissions, pitches, and photo essays are welcomed. However, please note that the above listed criteria apply to any specific products or companies that are included or mentioned in an article. We will not feature company names if they don’t meet the required criteria.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions about the criteria.
Join us on Our Planet Travel’s eco adventure: